Roman Catholic Parish Church of Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe / Location: Makati, Metro Manila / Completed 1630, rebuilt 1970
The Monastery of Guadalupe was the 32nd Augustinian house founded in the Philippines. Initially a house for priests in 1601, it officially became a monastery in 1605. Grateful travelers of the Manila-Acapulco galleons popularized the devotion to the patroness Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe, formerly Nuestra Señora de Gracia. Chinese traders were the first advocates of a secondary patron, San Nicolas de Tolentino, who supposedly saved them at sea, for which he has since been honored with a fluvial parade. Perched on a hillock, Guadalupe was a seasonal refuge of priests away from their city parishes. It was also a sanctuary of high officials, and even housed an office for Gov-Gen Rafael Izquierdo. The British converted the monastery into their operational headquarters in 1762, during which only the image of the patroness was saved from defilement by an Irish Catholic soldier. It was a grammar school in 1853, an orphanage from 1882 to 1885, and the Escuela de Artes y Oficios in 1885. It was occupied by Emilio Aguinaldo’s troops from 1898 to 1899, and later by the Americans in the Philippine-American War and the Japanese during World War II. Erecting the church and convento to replace the first makeshift building was costly and laborious.
Using cash donations from Cebu’s bishopric, Fr Eustaquio Ortiz finally saw its completion in 1630. The structures underwent repair in 1662, following the earthquake of 1885, and again in 1706. However, not even the image of the patron survived the devastating earthquake of 1880. Fr Jose Corugedo’s two terms were thus devoted to reconstruction, accomplished in 1885. It was destroyed by bombs during the Battle of Manila in 1945. After World War II, the archdiocese tore down the convento to use its stones in constructing the Manila Cathedral in Intramuros. The church was rebuilt only when the house was restored to the Augustinians in 1970. Some aspects of the present church are derived from the Romanesque, as best exemplified by the interior stuccoed vaults, formerly of stone. Adorning the facade are baroque touches, like the leaf carvings above the recessed semi-rounded arches of the entrance, windows, and niches. A large round window at the center, the facade’s focal point, breaks the vertical lines of Doric columns supporting the cornice and the triangular pediment. The church is flanked by huge buttresses. An apparent structural imbalance results from the absence of the old convento, once an integral part of the complex.
SOURCE: Manila News-Intellegencer
Originally posted 2004-11-22 01:25:59.